Sunday, May 31, 2015

Thankfulness

May 31, 2015:

When I was a young girl, my mother would tuck me into bed at night. First we would kneel beside the bed and pray. Like many children, I had been taught to thank God for my family, friends, pets, etc., and for bringing me safely to the end of the day. I was discouraged by my mother to ask for material things!

Little did I realize as a child that my mother was preparing me for life. I went through periods of doubt as a teenager but still prayed. Friends tried to influence me in ways that were not in keeping with God's Word or mother's teaching, but I was able to resist because I understood the power of prayer and how it keeps us connected with the Heavenly Father.

When my husband became seriously ill and died at age 45, I never questioned God. I was thankful that my husband was a follower of Jesus Christ. My sister reminded me that sometimes God's healing comes not from restoring our bodies to good health, but rather by delivering us from the suffering of illness and into the arms of Christ, where there are no broken bodies.

A year after losing my husband, a dear friend introduced me to her brother, Robert, in church one Sunday morning. Little did I realize then that a year later, my sister-in-Christ would also become my sister-in-law. I never thought I would marry again - I was 42 years old when I became a widow, I wasn't going to play the 1990-style dating game so resigned myself in accepting marriage as a thing of the past.

On May 31, 1990, Robert and I were married. Today we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.  Now here we are 25 years later and I believe God hand-picked this man to be my husband, friend, companion and confidante into my golden years. I am thankful for being so blessed.

2 comments:

  1. God is so faithful! He blesses us in the best ways, even when we don't recognize it as such. Congratulations to you both, and may you enjoy many years of happiness! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful story. God is so good to us in ways that we often don't recognize until we look back later. Congratulations to you both and may you celebrate 25 more years of joy and love together as God watches over you.

    ReplyDelete