After viewing a video on You Tube I decided to try making this fun fold box. I chose the smaller box that is made from 8.5" x 11" cardstock. There are also instructions available to make a larger one. I made it using 80-lb. cardstock and it tore quite easily. So I made another using Neenah 110-lb. cardstock and found the box to be sturdy and suitable to use.
I think this box would be a fun gift or a party favor... maybe even something for everyone's place at the dinner table. The video uses candy in the top and bottom but I think it would be just right for some cash or a check for graduation or birthday. Who doesn't appreciate a monetary gift? I would also add a festive ribbon and tag.
The cardstock was stamped in several colors using stamps from several stamp sets and two sentiments were stamped directly onto the box: "Lovely Amazing You" is stamped on the lid and "Beyond Awesome" is stamped on the side.
THIS VIDEO for instruction, I constructed the box. I found the instructions to be a little confusing at first but the second box was a breeze to create.
1. The regular weight (80-lb.) cardstock collapsed and began tearing at the folds while attempting to twist the box.
2. The heavyweight cardstock (110-lb.) twisted perfectly into place on the first try.
3. Twisting the box open and closed too frequently will rapidly wear out the box.
4. Firmly burnishing the score lines makes a difference. The diagonal scores should be folded and burnished in the opposite direction from the "square" scores. (I think I missed this in the video.)
5. Don't glue the bottom closed until after the box has been twisted and the gift or goodies placed into the bottom of the box. This reduces twisting and untwisting the box.
6. While empty and the ends not glued shut, the box folds flat but once filled and the bottom glued, the box no longer folds flat for mailing.
But I enjoyed the project!
Aud Sentiments Anything Goes Challenge #155.
I am also entering this into Creative with Stamps CAS Challenge #2. The box was really quick and easy to make once I understood the construction. I hope you'll visit the challenge blogs to view a wide variety of cards and other paper crafted items.
Here's a peek into the top of the twisted box.
Techniques: Stamping, Fun Fold, Twisted Box
Size: 2" square and 6.25" in height
Stampin' Up! Materials
Stamps: Awesomely Artistic, Lovely Amazing You, Best Thoughts, Flower Patch
Inks: Wisteria Wonder, So Saffron, Lost Lagoon, Certainly Celery, Regal Rose
Close to My Heart Materials
Stamp: Beyond Awesome
Cardstock: Neenah Solar White 110-lb.
Ink: Stazon Jet Black