Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Mother's Day/Happy Birthday

04/21/2017 Update: Winner at the Brown Sugar Challenge #246





Mother's Day in the USA falls on Sunday, May 14. My own mother has passed away but I have a lovely Aunt Millie to whom I send cards. She enjoys receiving them and putting them on display. It's always nice to know of someone who doesn't toss our handmade cards!

In addition, my daughter-in-law, Jean, has a birthday in two weeks. To further my ongoing effort to use up patterned paper in my stash it made sense to make similar cards for both occasions at the same time.
 

 
I used two sides of the same paper to complete these cards. The stacked buttons, which are required by the challenge, depict the Black-eyed Susans in the background. The shades of yellow vary but in nature we see all kinds of color mixes. I was going to omit the buttons on the birthday card and add small flowers in shades of yellow but I kind of like the whimsical look of the buttons so included them on both cards.

The cards were assembled with blue card bases, panels of vanilla cardstock and the patterned paper. A strip of cardstock provided the division between the two patterns. A matching butterfly was punched, the buttons were adhered and a small bow of gold cord was added to each. The inside was lined with a panel of vanilla cardstock and a punched butterfly.

I have no Mother's Day stamps so elected to omit the sentiment on my aunt's card. I have sufficient space on the inside to include a personal note to her. For my daughter-in-law, I added the birthday sentiment on the front. As an afterthought  I added some droplets because Jean likes bling and clear Wink of Stella to the butterfly.

The Mother's Day card is being submitted to:

Brown Sugar Challenge #246
(Use two patterned papers & two buttons)




The birthday card is being submitted to:

Seize the Birthday
(Option: Use two patterned papers)



Materials
Stamp: Stampin' Up! "Avant-Garden" (birthday sentiment)
Cardstock: Stampin' Up! Very Vanilla, Hello Honey, Dapper Denim
Paper: Graphic 45 "Garden Fresh" from Home Sweet Home Collection
Punch: Stampin' Up! Itty Bitty Butterfly
Misc.: Four buttons from my sewing stash; gold cord; ZIG Wink of Stella (clear); The Robin's Nest Dew Drops

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow Melanie, that is beautiful! Your designer papers are just perfect and I love your button embellishment. She's going to love her card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty with the changes of paper and that fun button. Your aunt will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty cards. Love the 2 pattern papers you used and the colors. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete