Saturday, April 3, 2021

Birthday Fishes


Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge is a weekly challenge. Challenge #414 began on Monday, March 29, and is scheduled to end on Sunday evening, April 4, 2021. Their sketches provide inspiration for card designs. I stuck with the window concept but shaped it a bit differently than the sketch suggests, and, instead of flowers, I used a school of fish.

Hoping to give the look of a ship's interior (aka shiplap), I cut a panel of wood grain patterned paper and enhanced it by sponging it unevenly with gray ink. This toned down the brown hues and weathered the wood. It now coordinates nicely with the silver hexagon frame and the blue cardstock. I added this woodgrain panel along with a white panel to a blue card base. To create the porthole, I die-cut a hexagon frame from silver foiled cardstock, adding six brads that look like screws. The ocean view was cut from patterned paper along with the sea turtle. I like the way the turtle is looking directly at the window. I used thin foam tape for the turtle to add dimension. Next, I adhered the porthole to the card, also using thin foam tape. The sentiment was stamped, matted, and added to the card with foam tape. 

The inside was lined with a white cardstock panel and decorated with patterned paper and an additional sentiment, "My love for you is bigger than the ocean." Can you guess why I added the fussy-cut sea turtle to the inside? Yep. A blue thumbprint. I stamped some tiny fish around the sentiment and on the inside of the card. I thought the water needed some sparkle so I added very tiny silver discs to the scene and clear Wink of Stella to the sea turtle.

See the great cards made by the Design Team by visiting the AHSC414 Blog

Materials
Stamps: Stampin' Up! "Whale Done" (both sentiments)
Inks: Stampin' Up! Pacific Point; DOX Hickory Smoke & Spiced Marmalade
Cardstock: Stampin' Up! Whisper White, Pacific Point, Silver Foiled Card
Paper: Stampin' Up! "Whale of a Time" & "In Good Taste" (woodgrain)
Dies: Spellbinders Classic Hexagons
Misc.: Brads from stash, ZIG Wink of Stella (clear) & CTMH thin foam tape

8 comments:

  1. Melanie, I love this! The silver frame is a terrific idea to enclose the underwater scene and the background does look like the interior of a ship. Great work with the underwater scene! Thanks for sharing with us at Atlantic Hearts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that's awesome!! Love the peekthrough window. So perfect!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! really impressed with this one Melanie. I love how you always finish off the inside! It inspires me. I have been doing more of it. Thanks for playing along at AHSC as always.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute card, I love the theme and how you changed the window shape...perfect! Thanks for playing along with Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge (AHSC).

    Brandi R.
    DT member AHSC
    crzy4scrapbooking.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great take on the sketch ~ LOVE that window ~ Thanks for joining us at AHSC ~ we sure hope to see you back ~ Denise DT ~ chezmoicreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful aquarium window scene! Thank you for joining us at Atlantic Hearts, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever card using our sketch this week! Thank you for joining us at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great underwater scene! Thanks for playing with us at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge!

    ReplyDelete