Monday, July 1, 2024

Beat the Heat - Cool! (DTC #170)



Double Trouble Challenge #170 is open through Sunday evening, July 14, 2024. As is customary, there are three elements to this biweekly challenge. The details and guidelines can be found in the DTC170 Blog.


For Trouble Maker's Thing 1 requirement I used wind and water as my elements to stay cool, using heat embossing as my technique.

Then I took Double Dare's Thing 2 option and linked up with My Happy Place - Park Hopping HERE.


I could not ignore Twisted Sister's Thing 3 option and spent some time thinking it through. 
I went for a walk down memory lane as I pondered how to create this card to involve a theme park. Having lived in Florida for a long time (1950-1957 and 1967-1999), I have visited many beaches, keys, parks, swamps, and attractions related to the fun, beauty, plants, and wildlife associated with water and staying cool. 

Returning to Florida has always made me happy. What comes to mind is running through a sprinkler in the backyard to beat the heat when I was a child. This was before the days of theme parks. On Sunday afternoons my family enjoyed fishing or sailing in our sloop-rigged daysailor, the "Puffin", which was moored in Tampa Bay. Those were my halcyon days.

My family members have worked at several Florida theme parks over the years, and I have visited all of those parks. My finished card depicts a sailboat on Bay Lake at Disney World - Orlando. The wind and water spray keep boaters cool as they enjoy the sunshine.

Thank you for joining our challenges at Double Trouble and My Happy Place. I hope you also have good memories of your happy times and places.
Melanie


Materials
Inks: Versamark
Cardstock: Stampin' Up! Basic White, Basic Black, Real Red, Just Jade & Soft Sky
Paper: SBC "Travel Airplane Collection"
Dies: Stamps of Life words "So Cool" & Kokorosa "Sailboat in a  Frame"
Embossing Powder: Wow Silver Metallic extra fine
Misc.: SBC thin foam tape (1 mm.)


4 comments:

  1. Great scene with the sailboat - nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool... great travel background paper used for your focal point, and love your post on your past experiences of your happy places too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous image, a great sentiment to go with it. I grew up living in Chicago so my version of "swimming" was running through the sprinkler too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous card centered around your good memories! Florida is my favorite place to vacation - the Southwest gulf to be specific! :)

    ReplyDelete