Friday, March 11, 2022

Celebrating the Lunar New Year



It's a green-colored challenge at Color My Heart Color Dare #487. St. Patrick's Day (March 17) falls during this challenge but your card only needs to meet the challenge board requirements shown below.

In 2022 I am trying to use products I own that have never been used. When I found some Asian-inspired dies in my stash I decided to feature the Lunar New Year on my card, although the holiday will be over by the time this is published. This festive and colorful holiday is not celebrated by all Asian cultures and countries but remains extremely popular and lasts through the month of February. For the color challenge, I used shades of green adding gold as my required metallic element, then black and white, which are free colors.


To a panel of white cardstock, I stenciled bamboo images using several green inks, also brushing on a very light shade of green ink to the white cardstock. I adhered the panel to black cardstock. The Asian-inspired frame was cut from black cardstock using an A2 frame die. I die-cut two of the frames, then cut them apart and carefully glued them to fit the Slimline card dimensions. 

Next, the die depicting the wagasa-carrying lady was used to cut an image in black and another in gold. The details were poked out of the black image and it was glued to the gold image, which had been left intact. I added the completed image with foam tape, then the entire card front was added to a white card base. The inside was decorated with a few stenciled bamboo branches and an Asian motif in black and gold. I omitted using any sentiment until I know how I will use the card.


We look forward to seeing your entries at our biweekly challenges. This challenge runs through Thursday evening, March 24, 2022. Visit our
Color Dare Blog to view the DT's projects and to see our guidelines. We have a new biweekly challenge beginning every Friday morning so there is always an active challenge.

Materials
Inks: Stampin' Up! Soft Seafoam, Granny Apple Green, Pear Pizzazz & Shaded Spruce
Cardstock: Stampin' Up! Basic White, Basic Black, Foiled Gold
Stencil: Slimline Bamboo (source unknown)
Dies: Frantic Stamper "Oriental Frame and Motifs"; RCD "Oriental Lady"
Misc.: CTMH thin foam tape

7 comments:

  1. Love this!! Your bamboo background is perfect for her. She really stands out in the gold! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bamboo background and fantastic die cut which works great in black and gold. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lady die cut in metallics is fabulous - and I'm sure it was extremely time consuming to piece together all those tiny pieces! Love the shades of green in the background :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great theme! The green bamboo is perfect for the bold black and gold lady. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exquisite! I actually gasped when I saw this card. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful Melanie! Those die cuts are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete